[CQ-Contest] Re: ts-850

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 29 22:53:32 EDT 2002

Dennis Younker NE6I brings up a valid question.

> Lots of people yakking about the 570 not being up to snuff as a contest rig.
> Oddly, no details are being presented.  Anyone care to detail?

Two years ago, almost to this week, my house (not the antennas) were struck
my lightning and it took out an IC751A and TS870.  I purchased another TS870
and borrowed a 570 so I could run my normal SO2R RTTY thing for CQWW RTTY.

The '570 has a couple of problems when it comes to contesting.  First off, it
has a 250 hz filter in the FSK position, but I'm not sure where this filter could
be because if someone parks next to you with a strong signal, the AGC goes
way up and you can't copy squat.  So the narrow filtering is probably not in
the IF section.  This is the 570's biggest problem when contesting.

The next big problem for RTTY is that the radio does not give a RTTY
sidetone when used in the FSK position.  But that had nothing to do with W2UP
whooping my butt that year.

It's great for a "holiday" rig, but not a good contesting radio.

You probably couldn't give me one because I have an FT757GX/II in the closet
that probably works better and is 10 years older.

FWIW... opinions are like ... well you know.

Don AA5AU