[CQ-Contest] More than misleading calls. De VY1JA

KØHB k0hb at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 8 19:23:07 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw at fyi.net>

>  Point is, it's always been ARRL's call as to what to officially call the
sections.

Let's presume for the moment you are correct, which you aren't -- RAC, not ARRL
assigns the official section names in Canada.

But let's pretend you ARE right.

The contest scoring software ought to be 'bright' enough to accept whatever
abbreviations are in common usage.  I note that my version of CT software will
accept all the following inputs and 'score' them as NWT.  (If you run CT, open
the "sec.dat" file and note the many abbreviations it will accept, not only for
NWT, but for all the RAC sections, and dozens of USA sections.)

   NWT, YT,YU,NW,VE8,VY1

If Jay sends YT in CW (or Yukon on voice) the scoring robot, it seems pretty
anal for the scorer to disallow the contact on such a flimsy technicality.

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB