[CQ-Contest] N2RM packetless M/2 details

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Feb 21 10:27:47 EST 2002

At 11:36 PM 2/20/02 +0000, Bob, N5RP wrote:
>Scrap that partial check crap, as well.
>You guys are good enough to not need that.
>I know N2AA can copy callsigns without help.

This brought up something I found a little interesting this year.  Using a
year-old master.dta file (not the one that K8CC et al have built from
scratch), I found it of relatively little use in telling me who I was
hearing if I didn't copy cleanly.  There were so many busted call-signs
that I found it mainly useful for reminding me of what call-letter
sequences (more or less) are apt to be good from a particular country.  Is
OK1F a plausible beginning for a suffix? -- that sort of thing.

To rely on MCP to copy what you can't (or let you guess) is the sure route
to a high error rate.  That being said, I still find it a useful learning
tool, precisely for teaching what call patterns are likely to be legit.  It
also keeps me optimistic about finding more people to work when I can look
at the screen and see that I've only worked about a quarter of the first
screenful of OK1Bxx calls.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at