[CQ-Contest] About the ARRL, the trash talk and a possible solution

W4PRZ at aol.com W4PRZ at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 10:24:26 EST 2002

 It is sad when an organization, like the ARRL, one that is supposed to
represent the interest of all its members, does not even consult it's
constituents with what they think about something before they make a change.
I can tell you that around here (Charleston, SC Area) that a lot of Hams are
making grumbling noises against contesting. They just don't like to be shut
out of a band by someone calling, "CQ Contest." I have tried to change their
minds telling them that they should try contesting, they might just like it,
that they might just be able to pick up that Grid, State, Country, or
whatever it is they need for their collection, during a contest. I believe
that probably more emphasis is needed for education about contesting to the
new ham just getting into the hobby. Maybe when the Technician Question Pools
are revised again, some questions on Contesting might be appropriate. That
way their first impressions are positive and not formed by the ranting of
some disgruntled individuals they hear on their local repeaters.
 That's the way it's been going, and if there's gonna be some changes made it
will have to come from the ones that want to promote, possibly save, their
favored aspect of the hobby.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear of a day when running, (monopolizing
in some minds), a frequency could be thought of as to not be in good amateur
practice. This is just some of what I've heard said about contesters on some
of our local two meter machines after the contests have ended on the HF
bands. Folks, it ain't pretty.
Just my two cents.

73,
John W4PRZ