[CQ-Contest] Who should I contact? Your Director - of course...but:

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 12 00:43:10 EST 2002

ARRL New England Division Director K1KI writes:

"I wouldn't recommend that you write to so many different people.   I know
when I get input on ARRL issues I pay the most attention to that received
from New England, since those are the people that elected me.    To be most
effective in impacting ARRL policy, concentrate on only one or two people -
the one who directly represents you on the ARRL Board and perhaps one other
who you know personally (if not the same as the Board member).    And send
them different e-mail messages.

                -- Tom

I laud your wanting to service those who put you there above others - this
is indeed your job as their elected official...this is what they expect from
you as their voice on the Board.

...There is one problem with this, though - let's say if your Director is on
the one committee which favors the issue you are opposed to.  I know we all
trust our representatives to represent all of us but to so pure as to think
that the political animal does not have its own agendas is - well - naive!
We are all grown ups here, anyone who has survived the last decade has to
understand how politics works!

Should we as contesters direct our efforts at contacting members of the
Membership Services Committee to voice our opinions on this operating based
issue - or -since this issue is the child of the Administration and Finance
Committee - should we aim at them with our angst?

I think we should aim at both!

Those purportedly looking out for our operating interests and those willing
to table them in the name of fiscal necessity.

Operating practice is best learned form seasoned hams - I know you have
hosted many multi operator entries in contests from your own QTH and I
assume you have to have helped some new guys along the way learn what's
what, eh?  Seeing that first score in QST is the first step towards the top
of the hill...let's make sure the first step leads to more active hams - AKA
OPERATORS!  without operating it ain't ham radio.

73,

Jim White, K4OJ

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com