[CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ vs. CQ

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 10:36:29 EST 2002

In a message dated 1/13/02 5:10:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
w2up at mindspring.com writes:

> Quoting you from another thread, do you have facts to back that up?
>  I've always had the impression (mine and others) that CQ isn't worth the
>  paper it's printed on, and the only reason it survives is the contest
>  results.

    Au contraire. I was a contributing editor to CQ Contest magazine for its
entire existence and have had hundreds of phone conversations with the editor
of that magazine as well as CQ Communications staff where I was privy to
'inside information'. You could probably call CQ Comm. and ask them the
question and get the same answer that I gave you.

    I have been involved with the ham radio marketplace since the early 80's
as an 'industry insider' and my knowledge is based on my cumulative
experience from the people who are the dealers, manufacturers, League leaders
and members of our hobby.

    No, I don't have a written statement stating the above but the contest
results vs. magazine sales (for CQ anyway) is not a secret.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com