[CQ-Contest] Future of contesting on the ARRL web site

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Jan 14 08:05:08 EST 2002

At 05:24 AM 1/14/02 +0000, KC5AJX wrote:
>I have emailed Dan N1ND to ask if someone from the contest branch would post
>on here how the ARRL plans to cover contesting in QST in the future, but
>considering the climate on here right now I don't look for anything soon.
>Besides the NAQP CW contest just ended so I am guessing he will be busy for
>a while or does someone else handle the NAQP tests??

Rick, haven't you just put your finger on what's wrong with this picture?
How will ARRL do all this if N1ND is totally swamped by what he has to do
now?  Where will they get the personnel resources for improved QST
editorial coverage and a good web effort?  I predict that what will happen
instead, if this goes forward, is that we'll see that same contest writeups
as before in QST, only absent the line scores, and only the line scores
will show up on the Web, with little or no additional material.

Then next year or the year after there'll be another (the last) incremental
downgrading in QST, accompanied by explanations of how survey results show
their subscribers still don't like the contest stuff.

73, Pete N4ZR

The revised World Contest
Station Database
is online at www.pvrc.org