[CQ-Contest] How to address the ARRL

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 21 15:38:48 EST 2002

I have been an Assistant Director for over 25 years in two different ARRL
Divisions and have worked with 4 different Directors.
Addressing the ARRL has come a long way from the days of Director Kahn and
Mr. Budlong.    Here is how it works (in simple form as there are
variations).

What will be discussed is put in an action list decided on by the executive
committee in conjunction with the EVP and CFO.  In view of the
recession the CFO can take the lead and working with the QST staff look at
ways to cut expenses.   Like many of you I believe they are looking at
cutting more than fat.  I feel that getting more members is the solution.

You can send an e-mail or letter to your Director with perhaps a copy to the
EVP (K1ZZ) or W5JBP.  Each Director has a group of Assistant Directors and a
Vice Director.  The letter or e-mail can be set to them instead.  Give your
points in an orderly fashion and avoid bashing the League or any individual.
Remember if you think your Director or Vice Director don't work for you then
vote against them in the next election!

What is happening is that the Board has asked for more information.  This
issue of cutting section and contests news is not new..it comes up virtually
every recession.   The Board wants to know how many readers look at the
section news and if moving them to the web page will satisfy the members.
Same for contest results.  I remember when the ARRL SS even had the
equipment section winners used and many pictures.   I think CQ
Communications was on the right track with the story and top score boxes in
the front and line scores toward the back.  Detailed analysis appeared in CQ
Contest Magazine.

I feel the Board must decide how many members used the Internet, is the web
page used regularly?, and how best do they use all publications (printed and
web) to attract and retain new members. This is the real ball game.   Your
input can shape the decisions!

Take action now.

73 Dave K4JRB
Assistant Director ARRL SE Division