[CQ-Contest] The Future is Now

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 23 16:50:47 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 04:12:59PM -0500, Jamie Dupree wrote:

> I love all the ideas about a contest cookbook and more - but why a book?
> Why not just all kinds of information assembled and presented
> via the internet?

When was the last time you read an entire book that was published on the
Internet?

Books are excellent because they can be used anywhere - not just where
you have a computer.  The web hasn't made all printed media obsolete
by any means.

> The recent battle with the ARRL over contest information in QST
> really might be over already in one way.  We don't wait for months =
> anymore to
> see our scores - we immediately put them on the net. =20

We do not immediately post scores on the net (I assume you are
referring to 3830 at contesting.com.)  We post score _rumors_.  There is a
HUGE difference.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com