[CQ-Contest] Marriage of contesting and ARES

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Thu Jan 24 00:37:20 EST 2002

I posted a idea a couple of days ago about a contest that could prove to
provide considerable exposure to contesting, ham radio, and emergency
preparedness.  I would love to see more discussion of the topic.  The
purpose?  To demonstrate that US hams are capable of originating and
delivering significant and meaningful traffic to central collection points.
We are not "amateurs."

Imagine a contest where the purpose is to publicly simulate a significant
national disaster--a thermo nuclear device detonated over Chicago for
example.  The FCCs Mr. Powell would send out a press release to the ARRL and
all media (CNN, NBC, ABC, etc.) at high noon EST on a Friday or Saturday
between two dates (e.g. 9/11 and 3/31) stating: "All amateur radio operators
are instructed to begin the emergency communications simulation beginning
today at 02:00 UTC and ending 06:00 UTC.  That would be the kick-off of the
mother of all US contests.  All amateurs on all bands on all modes all at
once.  I get goose bumps.

Starting at 22:00 hours the same day, W1AW would begin posting instructions
for the contest using digital modes to provide the "rules of engagement" for
the contest.  The contest exchange, log routing, collection points, etc.,
would be sent from W1AW during the entire contest.  Specific instructions
from W1AW will direct appropriate band limits, regional information, etc.

The goal for contesters would be to collect valid QSOs using the instructed
exchange.  Any station may be worked for valid QSO points, on any non-WARC
band more than once, but never more than once per hour.  All US amateur ops
on all bands except the WARC bands would be eligible to collect valid Qs.
Each US section would be a "team."  Logs would be routed to section managers
using ARES people to man the traffic.  The traffic would be the logs of
contesters.

The goal?  Deliver logs to section managers as often and quickly as
possible.  Points would be assigned to sections based on the number of Qs in
the log and the time received by the section manager.  Relays of logs are
encouraged.  The use of VHF frequencies is encouraged.  Every scrap of
equipment you own will be pressed into service, except your phone line.  No
internet is allowed.  No twisted pairs allowed.  Only RF delivered traffic
allowed.

Section managers will accumulate the data and summarize the results.  Email
the results to a central collection point -- W1AW.  Mr. Powell will get a
report on Monday morning outlining the success of the operation.  Number of
Qs, counties covered, time delivered, number of stations, etc. would all be
proudly displayed to the FCC and the media.  We are not rank "amateurs" as
some congressmen have proclaimed recently.

This is rough but I think you get the general idea.

*****

Imagine the press.  Imagine the questions you will get at work.  Imagine the
pride in Mr. Haynie's heart when he delivers the 6" thick printout to Mr.
Powell, in a ceremony on the following Monday morning.  Congressmen will no
longer be able to call us rank "amateurs" any more.  I wonder if the BoD
will question whether these line scores should make it into print?
Contesting will be front page news on QST for sure.  Page 2 on NYTimes, Wall
Street Journal, CNN Headline news and on-and on-and on.

Imagine the inquisitive "hamshack on the belt" gang just itching to learn
the code to be able to work HF and help Mr. Haynie carry a US flag into the
White House ceremony.  Imagine the local press in your neighborhood anxious
to get the local scoop on this mysterious press release the previous Friday
noon.  Equipment sales will soar.  Contesters will be asked to elmer the
capable hams that have shun contesting all these years.  I get goose bumps.

You want to contribute.  Give this idea legs and the ranks of ham radio, and
contesting, will grow more than at any other time in our history.  The only
way this will fly is if contesters get involved.  The time is ripe (9/11).
Real traffic in a real emergency simulation.  I get goose bumps...

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com