[CQ-Contest] Volunteers Needed for Contest Coverage Working Group

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Sun Jan 27 11:17:54 EST 2002

Hi Everybody,

So far, we've had a very good response to the call for volunteers to
participate on the ARRL Contest Coverage working Group. This group will assist
the ARRL in coming up with a great contest coverage solution that takes
advantage of print and electronic delivery tools - like QST, the ARRL web site
and email. The plan must also make financial sense to the ARRL.

The goal is to put together a Working Group that is:
1.  Representative and sensitive to the needs of the both the amateur radio
community as a whole and the contesting community, in particular, and
2.  Skilled and experienced in the key disciplines of contesting, sports
journalism, print periodical publishing and electronic publishing.

The group will have a key contact at the ARRL, and will assist in developing a
great plan, which will be presented for approval at the ARRL BoD meeting in
July 2002.

Here are the kinds of people we are recruiting:
- Long-time, experienced contesters
- New, less-experienced contesters-in-training
- Non-contesters
- Non-ARRL members and non-US ops
- Business/marketing/publishing experts
- Sports journalism/writing experts
- Electronic delivery experts

As you might well expect, we have lots of experienced contesters and electronic
delivery experts volunteering. I am pleasantly surprised to have received
offers of assistance from a couple of people who have experience in the
magazine business and as a sports journalist.

I think we really need more help in the sports writing area. This is a very
important component. We also need representation from the 'less connected' part
of our community - non-US, non-ARRL, non-webified, and non-contesters. If you
are a good candidate for any of these profiles, we need your help! Please refer
others, if you think they might be able to assist.

73,

Jim K1IR

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com