[CQ-Contest] CQ Contest & Certificate

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Sun Jan 27 13:48:23 EST 2002

Subject: Re: [mn-wireless-assn] Certificate in the mail today...

> Ford;
>
> Congratulations on the award.  Its really great to hear you in there so often now.
>
> 73,
>Al, K0AD

Thanks.  With such a pathetic score, my first emotion was "How the heck did
this happen?  Where were the rest of the guys?"  I had no idea I was Top Dog in MN.

It gives rise to a general observation, very germane to contesting discussions lately.

After working that very contest, I concluded that I would never work a CQ
contest again.  Why?  Because the little pistols don't get their line scores
published.  After working that contest, I realized that I will never, no
matter how much effort or how much money I spend, find myself in the
winner's circle in the CQ WW 160 contest.  Not from MN.  Not playing against
the Georgia and New England folks.  In the CQ culture, only the top-guns get
neon lights.  The exhaustive listing of scores never appear in print in the
CQ world--not even on the web!  True, the 3830 reflector but never any
details--and now I get a certificate I really don't believe I deserve -- TWO
YEARS LATER.

I am fairly confident in saying that other contesters have experienced
similar emotions related to the CQ contests (i.e. I'll never work that one
again).  The only reason I play in the ARRL contests is that there is at
least limited regional coverage and competition.  I am not taking an
advocate's position on publishing scores in QST--the truth is that I am
hoping for more web coverage and bag QST line scores.  Interpret my comments
as an observation about seeing my call sign in neon is IMPORTANT TO ME.  If
you want me to compete, then let me compete fairly.

Publish, or perish.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com