[CQ-Contest] Not Another Contest Category

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Mon Jan 28 10:44:40 EST 2002

In the early days of SO2R, I made many pleas, similar to
Dick's, to make SO2R a separate category. It was obvious,
though, that momentum was with the SO2R guys to keep it in
the single op category. I was woofing in the wind.

Reluctantly, in order to stay competitive in the standings,
I had to make the investment in the SO2R stuff.

The skills didn't come naturally to me, and I have had to work
hard to improve them over time. Thinking about it in retrospect
though, the learning process has been interesting, and has added
another dimension and level of challenge and enjoyment to the
contesting experience.

I think I would be disappointed now if the category were to be
broken out separately.

I do have a few comments below on issues brought up by Bill,
AA4LR.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL at juno.com

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:01:13 -0500 Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net> writes:

> On 1/22/02 1:14 PM, Richard Zalewski at w7zr at citlink.net wrote:
>
> >Now think about the ability of SOME stations being able to
> alternately work
> >two bands versus the others limited to one band at a time.  There
> is a HUGE
> >difference in the potential of these two stations.  Then why if we
> separate
> >based on power, and number of transmitters in a multi class, and
> have power
> >in 3 classes should we not HAVE A SEPARATE CLASS FOR SO2R?
>
> Seems like this comes up a couple of times a year. And it seems like
> the
> same tired old arguments are made each time. And it seems like the
> same
> tired old refutations are made each time. So, here we go again.
>
> SO2R is a misnomer. Two radios aren't necessary. What's necessary
> are two
> receivers and a frequency-agile transmitter. An FT-1000D has 95% of
> the
> circuitry needed to do what's required in SO2R operating. The only
> thing
> missing is the ability to receive on the sub-radio while
> transmitting.

That is a show-stopper!

> SO2R isn't any different as an operating category than a single
> operator.
> SO2R isn't about equipment.

Well, you do need SOME equipment:
Two BPF's @$250 = $500
Antenna switch = $300
Two radio box = $150
Second radio = $1000
Second amp = $500
Decent antenna for each band. Cost varies, depending on what you
already have.

So, about $3000 should do it, maybe less, if you have
some of the stuff already, or want to build your own switches
and two radio box.

SO2R capability will move you up a few places in the standings.
For some people, that's important. For some it's not.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL at juno.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com