[CQ-Contest] Meet with the BoD

Ford Peterson ford at cmgate.com
Tue Jan 29 12:18:17 EST 2002

> Section News is to Traffic Handlers as Line Scores are to Contesters.
They
> don't have any idea what all our excitement is about, either.
>
> Which is part of the problem, of course - we all have our hobby niches and
> don't necessarily participate in or interact much with the others.  Ham
> Radio, somewhat a victim of its own technological success, has grown so
> broad that it is easy to lose touch with some aspects of the hobby.
>
> I would not suggest that we reverse that success, or that we all try to do
> everything, but that in the heat of debate we do try to remember that we
are
> part of a community of diverse interests - all important to their
adherents.

> 73, Ward N0AX

I think we do need to do everything.  I can see I'll have to ask some
questions.  I could never understand how contesters get lumped with traffic.
I guess one was borne from the other.

My concern is that the debate causes us to become divided.  I enjoy looking
at the pictures in QST and see all the variety of how others use the
spectrum in nifty and creative ways.  EME was a good example at the meeting.
How many guys can set up an EME station just to send and receive "R" and "O"
in cw?  Yet the fascination with the concept is quite high and therefore
gets press.

Most read article in QST?  "The Doctor is In..." with 55% readership.  Go
figure.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com