[CQ-Contest] Club Callsigns

W3DMB at aol.com W3DMB at aol.com
Wed Jul 3 10:04:13 EDT 2002

RE:Club callsigns....

Sean,
The class of license of the License Trustee of the club callsign determines
what class the club license can be used as without very awkward composite
callsigns such as W3UDX/NO3Q if the stations trustee is a General and the
operator is an extra and wants to operate in the EXTRA portions of a band..

If the Station License TRUSTEE is an Extra then the call W3UDX (for example)
would be used "clean" by all operators although the subband restrictions on
individual operators still do apply.    Note: During Field Day this
restriction seems to be ignored by almost all clubs...

This is usually so difficult that most clubs try to have as trustee an Extra
class licensee, that way the "correct" FCC call is easier to use.   According
to FCC rules, an operator is restricted to frequencies authorized by his/her
class of license unless there is a control operator of the higher class
present.

If a club has a 1x2 call (that was usually reserved for extra class
operators) and the club has a General class operator file to be the trustee,
AND the club is made up now of Techs and Generals with no Extra class
operators, then the club would still hold the 1x2 call (which would look like
an Extra class) but could not legally operate in EXTRA class subbands.

With the new exams that we now have it should not be difficult to find an
individual who has an Extra class license to be the trustee to avoid the
mess.

Jerry, W3DMB
Trustee - W3UDX (Butler ARA club license)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a message dated 02-Jul-02 21:50:59 Eastern Daylight Time,
k8khz at comcast.net writes:

> I got this idea from another ham though wanted to check it out. If you and
> other people such as a family member apply for a club call for a station
> then you can contest with it. what license class does the station have or
> is
> it of the control op at that time. and how would you use to file a score
> with a contesting club at that time.
> let me know your thoughts.
>
> Sean , K8KHZ
> http://www.geocities.com/k8khz