[CQ-Contest] Re: [TRLog] Various IARU issues

Tom HammondNØSS n0ss at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 00:30:19 EDT 2002

Tom:

>I feel like people are laughing at me when I call QRZ to check for the
>frequency in use before I start a run frequency. Sort of like a scarlett Q
>on my signal Hi Hi.

QRZ? ("who is calling me?") isn't the appropriate Q-signal. QRL? ("Is the
frequency occupied") is more appropriate.

In the heat of a contest, it is sometimes difficult to remember to "QRL"
each time you think you've found a clear freq, I must admit. I try, but
often find myself forgetting, and being chastized for it a bit later...
usually following (or more often DURING) the first CQ. The nice thing is
QSK, so you can hear other activity WHILE you're sending. Thus you can stop
sending as soon as you realize there is traffic on the freq.

In many cases, if I hear a station beginning to CW on the freq. I'm
operating on, I can generally send a couple DAHs, he'll hear me thru his
CQing and stop sending or move.

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS