[CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 19 12:10:46 EDT 2002

EI5DI replied to K4JRB:

> He said (and ARRL agrees) that a mode such as PSK31 is
> superior to CW in weak signal environments.

This is correct, but it is irrelevant because PSK31, and other
data modes, cannot be decoded by the human ear alone.

> Amateurs are working each other with QRP where signals
> are below the noise threshold.  Listen to the speaker
> and there is nothing!

Then, whatever it is, it's not amateur radio - pehaps it's amateur
data communications?  In my book, if it's not Phone or CW, decoded
by the human ear alone in real-time, then it's not amateur radio.

        I couldn't agree more Paul!  When we can make a WSJT "QSO"
and submit our "QSL" for DXCC without ever actually having heard a
signal or done anything but look at our comuter screen, what is the
point?  Is this amateur radio?  I think it's something very close to
the Internet but I thought we already had that.  Where is the human
element of hearing a signal with our own ears?  It might be the future
but count me out because it frankly holds no interest for me.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV