[CQ-Contest] 4-square vs 40-2CD

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Sat Jul 20 16:53:56 EDT 2002

Dave,

Took me a while to get around to replying, but thanks for the observations.
If you read my IARU post, the 40-2CD performed very well under battle
conditions. Atmospheric noise was too high for S-meter comparisons, but I
felt louder on the 40-2CD and never got asked for a repeat. The 4-square was
a little less effective in that regard. The 40-square was a little quieter,
but I ended up using the 580' NE beverage when the noise got real bad. The
big surprise was that the 40-2CD was the same 5-15dB louder to VK2. Guess
the 4-square's angle advantage isn't worth 5.5 dB in the summertime. I'll be
checking that as we get into fall and winter.

I ended up using the 4-square almost exclusively for S&P on the second
radio. It's more than adequate for that purpose. You can't beat the instant
direction switching and deep F/B. It might be worth sweeping the band every
now and then with the 40-2CD to pick up real weak ones.

I modeled the 40-2CD at 50', 75', and 120', and that tells a pretty good
story as well. The gain is comparable, but the angle is 36 degrees at 50',
25 degrees at 75' and 15 degrees at 120'. I imagine that makes a heck of a
difference and will be raising the 40-2CD tower to 75 feet before the fall
contests. The F/B was somewhat better the higher you go, too, but nowhere
near the 4-square.

I really do think it's a different story on 80M and 160M. I've had excellent
results with the 80M 4-squares at K1RX and KT1V. For most of us, we just
can't get a yagi up high enough on those bands. The 4-square has a
tremendous advantage in that regard: as long as you've got the real estate,
can figure out how to raise 65-foot verticals (or top-loaded verticals), and
are willing to spend some time dealing with radials, then there's nothing
better. I use a delta loop at 75' on 80M and it beats the old inverted-vee
by a mile, but it's nowhere near as effective as a 4-square.

73, Dick WC1M