[CQ-Contest] Follow The Money

Randy Thompson, K5ZD k5zd at charter.net
Wed Jul 24 00:20:48 EDT 2002

Or...

John Q. Public picks up a QST at the local newsstand and skims through it.
He sees a bunch of pages of call signs and numbers.  He thinks "boring", and
puts it back down.  Jane Q. Ham pretty much does the same thing when QST
arrives in the mail.

Let's face it.  If your call isn't included, line scores are pretty boring.
Writeups that just say callsign 1 beat callsign 2 are also pretty dry and
boring.  I actually find myself reading through NCJ thinking there are too
many contest scores in there!

For me, the most entertaining part of QST these days is the section up front
with the photos of people doing interesting stuff.  The ARRL has been active
in recruiting people to take on the job of contest write-ups.  If you have a
talent for generating excitement through the written word, contact N1ND and
volunteer to help!  If you aren't a writer, submit some pictures and fun
anecdotes about what happened in the contest to N1ND or the appointed
contest reporter.

QST is full color throughout.  No reason we can't put some of that to use in
promoting the fun, thrill, and competition of radio sport.

Randy, K5ZD