[CQ-Contest] QST and Contest Coverage

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 23 21:30:16 EDT 2002

>Unless and until I know what the Board's intentions in this regard are, I'm
>not condemning anybody.  It DOES concern me, though, that nothing was said,
>because I know these news releases are carefully written.   If no line
>scores means no improvement/expansion in other contest coverage in QST,
>then I would be upset.

Pete,

If I were planning the strategy of this series of miss-steps, I'd do
exactly what has been done. Do what you need to do, but allow for
a rather vague and at the time of decision, "unknown" response.

There's tremendous power in such a strategy view. They can take
a wait and see response, weather out the initial unloading of emotion,
and then do the very minimum amount of damage control needed.

That's the day to day Corporate 101 strategy and control process.

We've got some "good contest folks" inside the ARRL ... that are now
caught in the middle of this silent zone. Let's keep that in mind. Those
are the ones who will be given the challenge to put a positive spin on
what just occurred. If they don't ... then look for more departures from
members, directors, and paid staff there.

What's next ... no more support for CW?  Wider phone bands then?

73 Billy AA4NU  (who is still wondering ... where are the cost savings?)