[CQ-Contest] Re: Why not complain about CQ also?

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 24 22:39:46 EDT 2002

Here's the thing: the people who won't bother to look at the line scores on
the Web are the same people right now who don't bother to look at the line
scores in QST.

Line scores have limited appeal -- primarily to us and us alone. That's not
going to change.

But what can change is the amount that non-contesters read the results. They
won't read line scores but they will read interesting stories, with good
anecdotes, good prose and good photography. There is no room for that now
since the majority of pages are devoted to line scores.

As the author of the 2001 SS Phone writeup, my behind the scenes work with
such ARRL luminaries as K1RO, NT1N, N1BKE and N1ND suggests a strong
commitment to making line score-free results work for everybody. I support
the efforts to move line score coverage to the Web (where it can be MUCH
more valuable to the people who actually care about them) and increase
non-line score copy in QST, where it can be much more interesting to the
people who don't care about line scores.

Anything that will make it MORE LIKELY that a non-contester will read the
results writeup is a good thing, no? Line scores don't do that.

It only makes sense to deliver the material people want in the form most
suited to them: the interactive sort functions applied to the SS line scores
on the Web site are nothing short of astounding. Want to compare 80 meter
rates among club scores in B? No problem. Want to find out who had the
highest non-sweep score? Simple. They really, really, really did an
absolutely fantastic job developing the contesting space on the ARRL site.

It is an excellent resource that we should all be happy to embrace.

The most powerful people at the League now are active contesters. Don't
forget that.

73, Kelly
VE4XT

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get me."