[CQ-Contest] The Personal Touch

Mark Beckwith swca at swbell.net
Fri Jul 26 06:23:54 EDT 2002

I just responded to Trey's "15 days" post and thought I'd throw this out:

1. These days I get on casually for just about everything. (Hopefully this
season N5OT will be ready, but it might not, so I might still be casual this
season).

2. 30 days makes me think "I'll do this later" (so would 15).  (My excuse is
I don't have internet at the shack, but even when I operated from home I
still didn't do it right after the contest).

3. More than half the time I forget, because it's not high on the priority
list, because I operated casually.

4. Result - sponsor misses out on some more data, results are one smidge
less comprehensive.

5. If somebody in charge emailed me saying "we know you were on the air
casually, could you send us your data, please?" I would respond favorably.
("Oops. Sorry. Here you go....")

Tree did this from time to time for contests he scored.  That old "personal
touch" makes a differernce.  I am writing this to cq-contest so the N8BJQs
and N1NDs of the world would consider adding this to their arsenels.

I bet this could be done with software and all the log collector would have
to do is write the text of the resulting email.  Trivial.  I bet the
software already has this ability built into it just waiting to be used:
"Print a report of callsigns in the contest from whom logs have not yet been
received."  Just a guess.

?

Mark, N5OT