[CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Fri Jul 26 23:44:28 EDT 2002

Sorry Gary, but you and I will disagree with this one for now.

Considering the outcry last year when (under the dubious excuse of safety of
the mail) CQ Magazine forced all of us to enter only by electronic means, to
now propose to "force" contest entrants to rush in their logs and then
"force" the contest committee to rush compilation in another 2 weeks strikes
me as being too hasty.

Are we all so impatient that reducing the turn-around time between contest &
results from 6-8 months for the ARRL, and 8-10 months for CQ (just to pick
on two) to under 2 months isn't enough, but we're going to try to force-feed
it to 6 or even 4 weeks?

Remember, we're not dealing with a "closed" environment like the WRTC
competitions, where you have a relative small number of stations (50 or
less) competing for 24 hours.  Compiling those results in a few hours is a
piece of cake.  We're talking about 48 hour contests that literally involve
thousands, if not tens of thousands, of amateurs -- many of whom never have
or will send in logs, which always leave question marks about "uniques" and
"busted calls" and other potential problems to sort out.

Further, you must remember that in much of the world outside of North
America and Europe, Internet access is not as accessible nor as cheap as it
is here.  I would not be at all surprised to learn that there are many
active contesters who have a computer in the shack, yet prefer to mail their
results in via a disk for whatever reasons.

I think we should be more concerned with using the proposed changes in a
positive way to encourage more potential contesters.  I think if we rise the
bar too high, we make the goal too difficult, it will do the exact opposite
by discouraging potential contesters and some of the active and less active
ones out there.

I also would question the ability to compile scores, even with automation,
in a day or two.  Pending data to prove that one way or another, that
strikes me as being more than a bit optimistic.  Can someone on one of the
major contest committees comment on whether or not automation makes one or
two days practical?

I am not saying that Trey's proposed 15 day deadline is a bad idea.  But I
don't think we're quite ready for it yet.  One thing at a time.

73, ron wn3vaw

"What's wrong with being an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our
time?"  --  Howard Beale