[CQ-Contest] Left Coast Logs of the Future?

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Wed Jul 31 18:51:50 EDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Fred Laun K3ZO wrote:

> People are usually incredulous when I tell them there are 175,000 hams in
> Thailand.  Why don't we hear them on the bands, I am asked.
>
> The answer is that about 99.4% of them are VHF-only hams.  The barrier to
> upgrading, interestingly enough, is not CW so much as it is the fact that
> the guy who writes the exams for the Thai PTD makes the written exam
> top-heavy on obscure facts like what does the Z-signal ZNN stand for, etc.
> So the failure rate on the written exam has been rather high.

That's really too bad. You'd think they'd get real.  I have never in 35
years heard anyone use a Z-signal in ham radio.

Sort of like asking me as a photographer how to shoot Autochrome or make a
Bromoil.  Chances are mighty slim that either will happen!

> Champ, E21EIC, along with John, HS1CHB, promoted the CQWW VHF Contest in
> Thailand this year and got quite a bit of participation.  Champ is rounding
> up the logs and helping the contestants to submit them to CQ.  He is also
> planning to propose the creation of a national VHF contest in Thailand to
> better familiarize all the VHF'ers with contesting.
>
> Champ has copied me on his log submission messages to CQ, and I have taken
> the QSO list of just one log, that of DOMRONGSAK PATTAKARNGOVIBOON,
> HS8GLR/9, who operated the contest from Songkhla Province in Southern
> Thailand near the border with Malaysia.  Here is his list of QSOs in the
> CQWW VHF contest.  Will the left-coast logs of the future contain something
> like this?

[snipped huge list of HS callsigns]

I certainly hope so!!!

73, Zack W9SZ