[CQ-Contest] The next great toy

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Thu Jun 6 16:39:40 EDT 2002

I used to do this with a Betamax recorder, using a Drake R4A
receiver as the front end.  The sensitivity wasn't great, because
the RF gain was cranked back low, and the bandwidth was only
~6 -10 KHz with varying attenuation, but it was limited primarily
by the R4A first IF crystal filter rather than the VCR.  Had to fudge
the "BFO" l.o. way out of alignment to put the filter into proper
perspective.  I "FM-ed" the output of my T4X with the carrier
gain cut all the way to zero into a dummy load and listened on
the receiver to play the signals back.  You could hear a lot of CW
signals tuning around in that bandwidth, and it made for great
post-contest fun and games.