[CQ-Contest] "It's not a contest."

Mark Beckwith swca at swbell.net
Tue Jun 25 10:25:39 EDT 2002

>I know, I know: It's not a contest.

I have NEVER understood this timeless Newington pronouncement.  Somebody
show me why accuracy and efficiency should not be rewarded, especially
during an Emergency Preparedness Exercise.

I know I'm preaching to the choir.

My only guess is that it is an attempt to "not turn away the curious
newcomer."  But what does that tell us about our image to the others?
Perception is everything whether based in reality or not.  We can't ignore
this, and my guess is a substantial investment in this area by contesters
would yield an excellent return.

I think having Dennis in the Marketing chair at the ARRL could be a good
turn for contesting, but not if we sit around and watch.

Well, unless you're about to strangle the guy in the tent with his own mic
cord if says "please copy, you're..." one more time.  Better for contesting
if you just keep THAT to yourself  :)

Mark, N5OT