[CQ-Contest] "please copy"

K4SB hamcat at directvinternet.com
Wed Jun 26 04:43:46 EDT 2002

James Neiger wrote:
SNIPPED
> We have met the enemy, and it is us.
> Vy 73
> Jim Neiger N6TJ

With all due apologies to Jim's very insightful post, it is NOT us.
That "please copy" can probably be traced to less than 50 hams in the
US, operating with greatly exaggerated opinions of themselves.

I remember checking into the 20 Meter county hunters net as I was
leaving Church, and thought I would drive north to hand out a few
relatively rare ones for GA. Apparently, the MC, a K2, had announced
some time
before not to use phonetics, and I was soundly chastised. I replied to
him that our minister, as a general rule, did not allow pickups in the
sanctuary, and that he could "kiss my ass"!

In this case, a virus which has infected 10s of thousands.

Dxpeditions are another cause. When they ask for "last 2", do what
9K2ZZ does. LOG them as such. His mgr. has explicit instructions to
reject any QSL logged with a 2 letter call, and to put such on the
original QSL with a note to that effect!

It's not us, but until we have the guts to openly criticize and inform
a newcomer for such, we share the blame.

73
Ed