[CQ-Contest] The OO Strikes Back

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Fri Mar 8 13:19:36 EST 2002

In amongst today's mail was  my first "QSL" from the ARRL DX Phone -- an OO
notice complaining about my contact with one of the Italian 2x1's -- an Out
of Band violation, to be specific.  Now, interestingly enough, it doesn't
say what frequency I was allegedly on, but informed me that on 20 I should
stay below 14.347 (which I thought I had).  Even more interesting, the
entire form and most of the information EXCEPT for my call, the DX call, &
the time of the infraction was filled out in advance and photocopied.

My point here is not per se to berate the OO.  My point is that we must all
watch the band edges in contests, as there are obviously people prepared,
eager, and ready with the OO forms.  Maybe just a little too prepared to my
tastes.

73, ron wn3vaw

"What's wrong with being an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our
time?"  --  Howard Beale