[CQ-Contest] Re: Assisted?

Chris Allingham ve3fu at rac.ca
Fri Mar 8 23:50:46 EST 2002

I agree that the list provided by K5TR ( see
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2002-March/046632.html )
was extreme and some people were aggressive in spotting ZF2MM.  But didn't
everyone in the contest benefit from Paul's marketing before the contest,
and from the spots?  Consider the following:

Maybe a VY0, who had no intention of getting on, got on because Paul asked
him to.  Maybe the VY0 worked a few other stations as well.  Aren't those
DX stations glad Paul did some pre-contest marketing?  Maybe a DX station
saw spots for the VY0, needed it for a new prefix, and decided to stick
around and work a few more US/VE stations.  Maybe it was a new multiplier
for you, and the only one you worked in the contest.  Aren't you glad Paul
did some pre-contest marketing?

I know that's a lot of "maybe's", but who knows how this would have all
worked out.  Maybe the VY0 and the DX station would have been on anyway.

It seems like every month this reflector is fraught with complaints about
how contest ranks are dwindling and we need more activity.  Last month the
"topic-du-jour" was the ARRL contemplating removal of contest scores from
QST.  Doesn't Paul's pre-contest marketing help promote the ARRL DX
contest, and contesting in general?  Maybe if there were more people
participating in the ARRL contests, looking for their call in print, the
ARRL would continue publishing scores in QST?  Some people complain that we
need more activity, some people complain when we promote contesting, some
people just like to complain, some people complain because they have
nothing to complain about.

I don't know if there was a VY0 on last weekend or not.  I didn't check
DX-Summit.  I just made that up.

73,

Chris VE3FU / VO2AC