[CQ-Contest] Cable modem questions

Robert Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Sun Mar 10 11:21:42 EST 2002

Hi Guys,

I currently use the basic Ethernet card with a Motorola SB4100 Modem to get
Charter Pipeline service (about 750k bandwith) to my Dell Win98 computer.

I would like to network this computer with another Win98 computer in the
shack (downstairs and about 50 feet away).

I was told that I have two basic options:

 1) Buy a router (about $90 at Staples) and about 50' of Category 5 cable
together with another Ethernet card and Motorola Modem SB4100 modem and then
install and hook everything up (and hope that it works).

2) Buy a wireless router (about $150) and Two high end Ethernet cards (about
$100) and the Motorola modem and then install same.

I am wondering about the potential issues for each....

For Scenario #1, by far the simplest, I wonder about the degradation of
signal over 50' of category 5 cable to the upstairs computer.  I also wonder
about the potential RFI problem of transmitting legal limit power and having
the 50' cable run act as an antenna.  I know that I can use ferrite beads to
reduce the effects of RFI but I still wonder about the signal degradation
over such a long length of cable.

 What about the RFI to the router located 10' away from the transmitter.  Is
this an issue that anyone has in their station?  If so, how is it solved?

Scenario #2

If  I go wireless, will the legal limit RF create a problem with the router
and the wireless signals?

Also, if there is a wireless signal now, wouldn't it be easy for anyone in
close proximity to my qth to access either or both computers and get data
from my files?  Security is a real concern to me.

I currently use Zonealarm ver 2.6 as a firewall on both computers but my
understanding is that this is excellent protection against people trying to
invade from the "outside"  but I don't know if it will protect against
invasions against interecepted wireless signals and my transmissions by the
wireless router.

Can anyone provide practical info on these issues?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

73

Bob KQ2M