[CQ-Contest] Solving power line QRM problems

Tom Frenaye frenaye at pcnet.com
Tue Mar 12 23:54:41 EST 2002

This was posted on the RFI reflector on contesting.com earlier today and it seemed like an excellent summary that might be of interest to people  on cq-contest as well.
                        -- Tom

>From: "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi at arrl.org>
>To: "'Tom Horton'" <k5iid at ntelos.net>, Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com>,
>rfi at contesting.com
>Cc: "Phillips, John K2QAI" <k2qai at arrl.org>
>Subject: RE: [RFI] WOW!!!!!!!
>Sender: rfi-admin at contesting.com
>Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:36:47 -0500
>
>The basic procedures that I recommend hams follow with power line stuff is:
>
>1. Stay calm and courteous at all times. This is the HARDEST part!
>
>2. Download, print and read all of the ARRL information on electrical
>interference. This will make you smarter, and some of it may be of use to
>your power company people.
>
>3. First, try to resolve this directly with the power company. The
>printouts may be helpful, if you can get them into the right hands. If you
>can, try to talk to the service manager or RTVI troubleshooter directly.
>
>4. Unfortunately, be patient. In the best of circumstances, these things can
>take weeks to resolve, often weeks dragging into months. I won't write the
>list of the back and forth steps that are often necessary, but think of it
>this way -- there are things in a chain that can fail, from untrained
>customer-contact people to the lack of RFI troubleshooters (or almost as
>bad, one who is not well versed in troubleshooting.) Even if the
>troubleshooting is done correctly, the BUL may mess it up. (That is Big Ugly
>Lineman.) He may climb the pole and say "What are they talking about; I
>have seen cracked insulators last for years."
>
>5. Print and give them anything you think might be helpful, from the ARRL
>material and "FCC letter" to the entire electrical chapter of the RFI Book.
>See http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfi-elect.html and
>http://www.arrl.org/catalog/6834. The newest link is to RFI Services
>top-notch training program. Make sure you print
>http://www.qsl.net/k3rfi/workshop.htm and get it into the right hands.
>
>6. If you are not getting anywhere after a reasonable amount of time,
>document the reasonable steps you have taken, and do a bit of research to
>get the name of the utility Prez or Chief Operating Officer, or at least a
>Senior Vice President in charge of customer service or distribution, and the
>company mailing address. Get the summary to John Phillips, who will write
>the CEO a letter, under the wing of ARRL's agreements with the FCC. That has
>been about 60% effective in getting things moving ahead.
>
>7. Again, unfortunately, things take time, and as long as the utility is
>making some reasonable effort, the FCC has consistently made the decision to
>let things run their course. ARRL can help the utility staff understand
>what to do and how to find the problems, though not nearly as well as RFI
>Services course. If the utility decides that they "are not spending any more
>money on this," or just seem to have such a low priority that it will be
>fixed next Nevuary, the League then sends the case to Riley, with a summary
> [...]

=====
e-mail: k1ki at arrl.org   ARRL New England Division Director  http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444