[CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Wed Mar 13 16:58:06 EST 2002

It might not be correct to describe Italians as the most egregious example
of
running excessive power.  Italians are frequently loud, and amplifiers
similar
to those used by the average DXer are probably important to this fact.  But
if there were no 300W power limit in Italy then we would not be pointing an
accusing finger at Italy.  A few other countries have similar power limits,
or
have had similar power limits in the past, which have been ignored to some
degree.  I have frequently seen Heathkit SB200's, Collins 30L1's, etc., in
photos of stations in England, Canada, and Australia for instance.  Japan
has "20W" limits that frequently are 200 to 2000W in practice.  Italians do
not stand out in my memory as obvious cases of excessive power.