[CQ-Contest] K5NZ ARRL SSB

Bill Bradford bbradford2 at houston.rr.com
Wed Mar 13 19:06:26 EST 2002

What a great weekend from the "little station that could", you know, the station that "no one" thought about or considered in the scheme of things.

It just shows you, under the right set of circumstances, anyone or any station can do superb things. It doesn't necessarily require tall towers, stacked monobanders, multiple radios, and maximum brute-force power.

What it does require is hard, intelligent, and old-fashioned work thrown in with the luxuries of packet spots and the like. I learned how to operate without this "crutch" and have tried to instill those values to Mike and whomever else that operates at K5NZ. We tuned the bands endlessly the entire weekend, and I think the multiplier total we amassed from W5 proves that this old fashioned hard work method of operating pays off.

We moved everything possible, we operated without regard for being tired, and we encouraged each other throughout the weekend to keep pushing.

Above all, I'm extremely happy and proud to hand over the 5th District record to Mike. Here's a guy who has done all the work himself, maintains the station himself, and unselfishly offers the station to others to enjoy their hobby.

Mike, thanks for letting me be a part of this operation. This contest will live in my memory forever, and there aren't that many that fall into this category. I can think of only 2, now there are 3.

Thanks to everyone for all the Qs and the great time.

73,

Bill   K5GA

multipart/alternative
  text/html