[CQ-Contest] The Difference Between Rules and Ethics

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Thu Mar 14 08:24:41 EST 2002

Ron,

As one of the members of the "M/M V2 team" you refer to, which obviously is
V26B, I can say that it probably did make a very slight difference in our
score.  My guess is that it's very small as this sort of thing appeals to a
small percentage of the ham population and we only get a handful of requests
for them.  Your doubts are correct.  We have done this for several years and
the same few people seem to go for the certificates year after year.

However, we did not ask anyone to solicit other QSOs for us or to spot us on
packet, or to do anything aside from themselves to look for us in the
contest.  Also, we do not advertise this certificate on the air.  This is
usually communicated via DX bulletins etc. well in advance.  I would say
that it's something we don't think much about - especially during the
contest!

We have a few stations who do let us know during the contest that they are
working towards getting the 5-band, or 6-band certificates.  Comments like,
"This makes 5 bands, where are you on 20?" happen frequently, but as I'm
sure anyone would imagine, it's really a small percentage of the time.  It's
nice to hear that from others as they call in.  They're having fun, and so
are we.

Now, if we were to attempt to plan some sort of scheme whereby we rewarded
those who spotted us the most, or something to that effect, we'd be guilty
of expanding the number of operators performing functions that gain our
operation qsos.  This would in effect place operators for our operation well
outside the 500m circle (or whatever it is these days) and thereby we should
be disqualified.

The bottom line is that it's against the rules to ask people to spot you -
even before the contest.  Letting others know you will be on the air is just
that - information.

73,
N5NJ / V26O
V26B operator