[CQ-Contest] Contest Spots

Sylvan Katz jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 15 09:23:55 EST 2002

>I personally would REALLY support the idea to shut down all the DX clusters
>during major contests.

I don't think this is a viable solution especially given the fact that some
clusters are private. The only thing that makes sense is to "eliminate" the
assisted class. After all, as many other have pointed out, when we moved
from hand keys and bugs to keyers -especially those with a memory - we did
not create an assisted class. And when we moved from separate rx/tx to
transceivers and no longer had to zero beat we did not create an assisted
class. For reasons that are beyond my comprehension ( and maybe someone can
fill in some history) cluster spots are perceived as assisted and not simply
a technology change. I suspect, the origins of this idea are rooted in the
concept of the spotting station in the M/M class -- I suggest that it is not
the same. It is obvious that the notion of the assisted class has to be
revisited - BUT how do we convince the power that be to re-examine this
issue? Now there is the question :)

.. sylvan
Ô¿Ô¬