[CQ-Contest] CQ WPX SSB on Easter Weekend ?

Kelly Taylor autonews at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 18 08:32:19 EST 2002

Written previously:

> There is little doubt in my mind that holding the WPX SSB on Easter
> Weekend (also Jewish Passover) hurts overall participation but that is
> CQ's choice and one can hardly argue with their logic of always keeping
> the WPX SSB on the last full weekend of March.

This thread demonstrates once again that there is very little we "can't"
argue about.

The stats about adherence, however, are skewed: they don't include those who
choose not to be religious.

Be that as it may: Given that religions typically use different calendars
than the rest of us in setting dates for religious observance (except that
most commercial of all holidays, Christmas,) and the resulting "floating" of
holiday dates, I don't believe it is possible to design a contest calendar
that:

1. is predictable year in and year out.
2. doesn't result in conflicts certain years.
3. follows the Gregorian calendar (indisputably the most widely followed
calendar).

Unless you want to put the contest calendar on the Julian system. Which
would mean you'd NEVER know when a contest is supposed to be held.

So instead of calling people stupid, perhaps we could just accept that some
decisions are unavoidable. And perhaps we could accept that "our" take on
the world isn't necessarily everyone else's.

73, kelly
ve4xt