[CQ-Contest] Spotting

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 18 11:50:37 EST 2002

On 3/9/02 9:30 AM, Chuck K3FT at k3ft at erols.com wrote:

>For example - W3LPL spots a station at 1524Z. I'm running stations and not
>paying close
>attention to the spots. The screen scrolls quickly (as it often does) and
>LPL's spot
>disappears off the screen. Then I do S&P and at 1538 I tune across the
>same station as
>previously spotted by LPL, I don't need 'em so it wasn't on my list of
>avaiable
>mults/calls so I don't know it's already been spotted, but someone else
>might so I spot
>'em. If you have already worked 'em he won't show.. if not. he will.

I wonder if we need smarter spotting software.

Why couldn't the software keep track of the last 30 minutes or so of
spots, and then inhibit spotting of a station if it was spotted already?

That way, you could spot every station you worked while S & P. The
software would filter out the duplicate spots. That way, there'd be much
less conjestion in the spotting networks, since there would be a lot
fewer duplicate spots and a lot more unique ones.

--

My experience with spotting comes from NQ4I's M/M station. To keep the
packet window clear, I'll often delete spots that aren't applicable. Like

Of course, this wouldn't help fix the spots with busted calls for
stations I've already worked. For that I need a button that says, "Ignore
spots for this station". (This would fix the K3LR or W3LPL situation)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901