[CQ-Contest] Radio onboard an aircraft

Chuck K3FT k3ft at erols.com
Sun Mar 24 10:30:52 EST 2002

Hal Offut's post was a good one. I must add one small correction, though
as it deals with an important point.

Many have asked, over the years, about OPERATING their ham rig onboard
the A/C.  Contrary to the popular understanding, the ONLY one who can
officially authorize use of transmitting equipment that is NOT certified
for use with the A/C in question is the CARRIER. It must be in writing
and must be from them.

The pilot, crew, or others cannot do this. They CAN restrict bringing it
on.. (and if an inflight emergency, then they have total command of the
craft and can allow it to be used, of course!) but the carrier is the
only legal authority who can grant you permission to operate.

73

Chuck K3FT

Tis a bit off topic for contesting.. but important detail, none the less.
I checked this with ARRL and carrier operators.