[CQ-Contest] Rigs on planes

jljarvis jljarvis at abs.adelphia.net
Sun Mar 24 14:24:24 EST 2002

Folks,

There has been some good advice, and some questionable on
this topic.

First, I have NOT carried an HF rig onboard since 9-11.  But I
fly virtually every week, and I HAVE carried an HT, with no
difficulty, several times.

Prior advice is pretty much sound, about having your license
with you.  Couple of things, though:

1)  Visit customs, in advance, and get a declaration form which
permits you to list the inventory you are carrying with you.
They will stamp this with an official stamp.  Carry it in the bag,
always. Get several copies of this, in case some bureaucrat wants
a copy for his records.  Doesn't matter whether you're leaving the
country or not.   It officially lists your inventory.
    Include in that inventory ALL wire, headsets, keys, and
interconnecting cables.  Be specific.

2)  Place your tools in a checked bag.  You can't carry them on.

3)  DO NOT bring batteries jury-rigged to permit you to fire up a
radio which requires that you plug in the power supply.  It's sketchy,
at best, and suspicious looking, at worst.
    If they insist that you power the rig up, ask for an AC jack,
and get on with it.
    If they want to see you transmit...point to the rolled up 40m dipole
made of #24 wire, in the bag...and say, I have to stretch this out to
transmit.

4)  When approaching the X-Ray machine, advise personnel that they
WILL want to hand inspect the radio sack, as well as run it through
the machine.  This sets you apart from the mainstream, and positions
you as a responsible party.  Then be patient with them.

As for me....with an investment in carry-on bags for my 756pro & ic2kl...
I'm going the Pelican case route, next time.  For 200 bucks, you can
solidly protect your radio, and not strain your back.  And it's waterproof.

N2EA