[CQ-Contest] Headset(S?) for contesting

Jim White k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 21 11:19:38 EDT 2002

I agree with K3MM - the speakers in headphones designed for ham radio usage could be better.  I wonder if there is a source for low impedance speakers (for my Yaesu's) and doing a retrofit on my Heil Prosets would be an option....
My favorite cans were the Beyer ones well publicized in early issues of NCJ....my set is pretty much so hosed however and has all kinds of patches on it including a big piece of foam over the head held on with black tape...'

Is working with headphones like working with audio speakers where you have to be aware of the volume of the enclosure they are going into?  I know this is a science and you cannot just build a plywood box stick speakers in it and have it sound worth a hoot.  Is the size of the "can" they are in crucial to the performance of the speaker in a set of headphones...are those same forces at work?

Sometimes I suffer from irritated cranial displacement * (sore head from headphones) and as such keep a variety of cans near the operating position for swapping out - it is kind of like changing your chair during mid-contest...an ergonomic thing.

K4OJ

*  ICD, otherwise known as - "heah your ear looks stupid all smushed, dude!"  This never was a problem 30 years ago - of course my hair covered my ears up then!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---