[CQ-Contest] Clean Sweep is not all that

k4oj k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 1 20:54:35 EST 2002

OK - I certianly will try, Nat

Note - as I mentioned - been there done that

Mid you I will not apologize should I sweep!

K1AR also spoke of the obsession with Sweeps years ago in his
column...and if you go far enoguh back to the 50's you will find an
article by W1YYM about the relative value of sweeping versus QSOs...
todays' software makes those decisions easy...

I guess part of what I was trying to say is that if you are coming the
bands for QSOs work any new guys - don;t become obsessed with the
Sweep...it may not even be attainable, there have been years when doing
such was possible!

Maximize your points in the contest....don't maximize your depression
over NOT Sweeping - imagine how you will feel if it turns out nobody was
on from "Nebraska" (just picking one)

GL to everyone this weekend...SS is a FUN contest as well as time to say
hi to many olde friends you may have contested with for over 30 years
(like itis for me!)

K4OJ

... ...

Nat Heatwole wrote:

>>While achieving a Sweep is part of what many feel SS is about - as far
>>as scoring, looking for that last section versus running sections -
>>

>your
>

>>bigger score will come from running stations!
>>

>Overall, yes, but in the beginning of SS, one mult is worth far more
>than one QSO. Therefore, if one has only limited operating time, it's
>better to get lots of mults and some QSOs rather than few mults and many
>QSOs.
>

>>the Sweep is a personal goal but is NOT
>>mandatory and you are NOT severely curtailed by missing one!
>>

>Alright Jim, prove me wrong. If you make it into the top 10 for any
>category in SS CW this weekend, I'll agree with your statement that
>sweeps are not necessary to win. After all, you have a good station and
>you are a good operator, so if making the top ten does not mandate a
>sweep, you should be able to prove it.
>

>>73,
>>
>>Jim, K4OJ
>>

>73, Nat, WZ3AR