[CQ-Contest] Computer clock losing time

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Nov 2 09:56:16 EST 2002

At 08:41 PM 11/1/02 -0800, John Geiger wrote:
>Have a problem 1 day before sweepstakes.  All of a sudden the logging
>computer in the shack has started losing time very quickly.  Like getting
>5 minutes
>behind every hour.  This is not good for the NA logging.  Haven't opened
>up the computer yet, but does this sound like a problem with the lithum
>battery?
>the computer has been plugged in and running the entire time this has been
>happening.  Any help would be appreciated.

John,

What operating system?

If its WinXP I may have the answer.  Under WinXP, if you're running a
popular DOS-based logging program it appears that the clock runs slow if
the CW keying is enabled.  Disable the keying, the clock runs keeps
accurate time.

While this problem was reported running NA, I suspect that both CT and TR
would be similarly affected.  While not wasting your time getting into the
gory details of timer ticks and such, the problem appears to be related to
how Microsoft emulated the DOS environment under WinXP.

If you're not running WinXP you can ignore this message.  If you are, you
have two choices: turn off CW keying and run an external keyer, or simply
reset the time every hour.

Dave/K8CC