[CQ-Contest] About Dan Robbins, KL7Y SK

Kimo Chun kh7u at arrl.net
Sun Nov 3 20:28:11 EST 2002

Thank you for the bandwidth and understanding.

Some friends remember:

Nov. 2, 2002

It is with great sadness that I announce the death of Dan Robbins - KL7Y. On
Oct. 31, 2002 Dan was in a motorcycle accident on the Big Island of Hawaii -
and did not survive his injuries.

Dan has always been like a part of my family - we lived close to each other,
and would help each other often. I am still in shock, as well as many other
friends are over this.

Dan was just finished with the CQWW contest at KH7R, I am sure many of you
had worked him during that time. He was in a place that he loved, doing what
he loved, and had the pleasure to visit with many of his friends at the
contest station. I am sure they are all grateful of that time together.

We will all miss that familiar voice, and fist of KL7Y, his sense of humor,
and his knowledge. We have spent so much time working on towers together,
repairing amp's,  cutting phasing lines, enjoying family cookouts, and
holidays. I don't think I will ever find a better friend.

I know we all have fond memories of Dan, so he will live on in our minds and
hearts.

I spent many days being his ground man while he did tower work, looking up
for hours to assist him. Dan, I am still looking up.....

73 for now old friend,
NL7Z     dit dit

p.s. - If anyone would like to send a card or a letter to Dan's mother,
please send to this address:

Arlene Robbins
2202 Lydia Ave.
Zion, IL
60099-2038

******************

Dan was vacationing in Hawaii. He loved to come here, participate in a
contest from KH7R (in shorts and no shirt - no less, something he certainly
couldn't do at home) and spend some time on the other beautiful islands.
This time was no exception. After a great effort at KH7R, contesting stories
in the off hours and several meals off the "barbee", Dan traveled to the Big
Island of Hawaii to visit others and relax. As he worked for Raytheon, he
decided to visit one of their sites located there. He told his boss on the
phone that he was going to rent a motorcycle and see the crew.  Apparently,
he was on the way back over the winding S-curves of the upper highway
between Waimea and Kona. I presume Dan may have been traveling in the clouds
or possibly patches of rain at those heights. I can only conclude that
unfamiliarity with the equipment, road and conditions added up to a
disastrous combination. He was not wearing a helmet.

We who knew him and enjoyed this last opportunity to radio contest with him
are still in shock. Surely it couldn't happen to him! Dan was always the
friendly and helpful guy. With great knowledge of running a Multi-Multi
effort from his own station in relatively rare Zone 1. We all benefited from
his presence and contributions. I had the opportunity to visit him and stay
at his house / station on a hill in Wasilla, Alaska. His station showed the
typical simplicity and ingenuity that amateur's show when "home-brewing" a
large
station without spending a fortune. I loved his concept of mowing the tall
grass around his towers...flatten them with his pickup when he turns around.
Hey, it worked. From his inverted Rubbermaid tub to cover some switching
arrangements to his old mobile van outside the house (the one with more
growing in it than in his driveway), Dan's cedar home 'spoke'  ALASKA the
last frontier of our country.

With his white hair and mustache he always looked the part of his well-loved
demeanor, the friendly and kind gentleman. I am sure that the many people
who knew him, had the opportunity to work him and operate with him will
agree. Though I never envied him working on his towers (brrrrr - cold)
compared to the weather at KH7R, I wish I had been able to spend more time
getting to know him better in his element.

Dan, whatever station you're going to operate from up there...I hope it has
the beauty of the Northern Lights, the balmy weather of Hawaii, the
propagation of the Caribbean or HC8 (that we both long for) and all the
'rate' you can handle. We will all miss you for you left us far too soon.
Don't forget to talk to us on 80 and 160 when it seems only KL7Y and KH7R
are on in the Pacific in the middle of the night (we need to keep each other
awake). Safe journey.

Aloha, 73  Kimo Chun, KH7U (one of the gang at KH7R)

**********

My very long time best friend, Dan KL7Y

     I have spoken with Dan's family and asked permission to post the
following information. I have offered to handle any email condolences
regarding Dan KL7Y. I will take them with me to Illinois for the funeral to
give them to his family and long time girl friend. The information is listed
at the bottom. Please pass this to the different reflectors Dan may have
been on.
     I had the very great honor and privilege of knowing and contesting with
Dan from 1979 until his last contest at the KH7R station last week. I recall
looking over at Dan on the 20m station during our last contest together
while he was working EU late at night. He gave me the 'thumbs up' as he
always did from his home station every time. He was having fun. When he left
the KH7R station headed for Kona I told him 'see you next month.' To my
great sorrow this will be my last trip to see my friend Dan.
     This is a great loss to the contesting community, ham radio, and the
lives of many. To those of you who have expressed condolences and inquired
about the services, I say thank you. There are no words that can describe
Dan. But I believe the post from John WA2GO sums Dan up eloquently and
concisely. John is one of the KL7Y contest group who also went to Hawaii for
Dan's last contest.

Yo,
A kinder, more generous gentleman you will not find anywhere. Dan was
Alaska's amateur radio ambassador to the world, was a great elmer, a great
technician, a first class operator, and a touchingly benevolent person. He
happily shared his station and his skills with anyone who wished to be
blessed with his company. He had no secrets, no skeletons, no "bad" side. I
loved that guy, and I will miss him for the rest of my life. He will live on
as an inspiration to anyone who knew him.

73 Danno,

John
WA2GO

Dan was a levi and tshirt kind of guy. The family will be burying him in his
favorite attire. Anyone who can attend the services please know that casual
attire is appropriate.

73,
Joe - WL7E

Email condolences:
wl7e at arrl.net

Funeral services:
Congdon Funeral Home
3012 Sheridan
Zion, IL

Wake: Friday November 8th between 5:00p  8:00p
Funeral: Saturday November 9th at 10:00a
Dinner after Interment

Daniel K Robbins Memorial fund:
c/o Bridgeview Bank
11411 West Wadsworth Road