[CQ-Contest] QRS/SS appeal, etc. -- was Unsportsmanlike?

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Nov 4 23:30:36 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Matt wrote:

> Interesting chart Dale.
>
> I tend to slow down quite a bit if the station calling has a long
> unrecognized call or if they are sending slowly. That is sometimes, but not
> always. Nobody asked me to QRS.  Some of those 30 and 40 check guys using
> chirpy breadboard rigs and bugs can't send past 20 words a minute, but they
> can copy upwards of 50 I'd venture to say. As Jay eluded to, in S&P mode in
> every contest but the Sprint, you can listen prior to as well as after
> making a "contact" to see if you got the right info. That may not be the way
> it's supposed to be done, but we've all done it on occasion. That's why the
> sprints are the true test of operating ability, there's no sandbagging, but
> the reason I like SS is that it has everything.

I guess there are at least two way to do Seach and Pounce:

1)  Go up and down the band: if a station is working someone, tune by and
find the next guy calling CQ and hope that the next time down the band the
guy you skipped is still there and not in a QSO again.

2) Go up and down the band; if you encounter someone in a QSO wait till
he's done and then call him.

I did some of #1 but mostly #2.  Might as well enter the data from his
current QSO while I'm waiting my turn.  I don't think that violates any
rules.

73, Zack W9SZ