[CQ-Contest] Spirit of Rules De VY1JA

J. Allen jallen at internorth.com
Tue Nov 5 17:44:15 EST 2002

Ok rules buffs, here is one for you.

For the past years, through this reflector, QST, and other magazines,  I
have told people that I find a clear frequency as close to my MUF as
possible and on as close as possible to frequencies that end in 27, 37 and
17  like 28427 and 28327.  I applied this during SS CW and several people
commented that I was exactly where they expected me.  For example, I started
SSCW on 28027 and spent a lot of time working pileup on 28016 ( listening on
28017)

A concern was expressed that this may not be within the spirit of the rules.

As I understand the rules: it is against the spirit of the rules to use non
amateur means to solicit contacts during the contest.  It is also against
the spirit of the rules to schedule contacts.

I feel that since I do not know that any 27 frequency will be clear, and
that I do not know who will or will not find me on that frequency, nor even
if my MUF will allow QSOs on any band, that my actions are entirely within
the spirit of the rules.

By the way, I was told that my signals were weak and watery during SSCW
while your signals were clear and LOUD here.  I think that giving everyone
any clue as to how to find even a weak and watery rare multiplier will make
the contest more enjoyable for all.

de J, VY1JA