[CQ-Contest] PC hits CQ-Contest

k4oj k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 6 00:53:08 EST 2002

I been holding back...and it ain't been easy!

Ya' know in the past day or two this thread about how some unknown guy
SUPPOSEDLY unpacked his key and tried to work SS but got disgusted so he
put it back in to the box and into the closet...well its hooey in my
opinion.

This is no different than the same crud I hear all day long on the cable
news programs - about how Americans should feel sorry for causing other
countries to act in a viscous and inhuman manor towards us in the Mean
Olde USA and golly gosh it must be our fault as Americans that they do
these terrible things...

GET REAL

This guy is not a CW op, he can barely copy CW and you believe that
someone told him to "go awy" - I wonder if he could copy that much CW.
 He will show us though he is not going to operate CW so there...someone
tell to take his ball and go home.

a) I do not believe this person exists but is a figment of someone's
imagination designed to voice a point of view without them having to say
that they cannot handle SS CW because it is too fast.

b) I made over 1300 contacts this weekend and NOT ONCE was I asked to
QRS.  There was one station high in the band who I called over and over
again on Sunday lowering my speed 4 WPM at a time his response was
clearly embarassment as I know I am loud into his area - he paniced.

Does this mean we need to change CW contests?  HELL NO!  This is one of
the few times we get to exercise our gray cells!  If a CW contest is too
hard for you - and you have tried going high up in the band so you are
the highest frequency participant and you call CQ, and you have asked
others to QRS (that means slow down) and still have no luck my guess is
you are not transmitting on the same frequency as you are listening.

Does this mean you, the nebie, give up on contesting, no - you get
comfortable with the code first - how do you do that USE IT FOR CHRIST
SAKE!  Don't take the key out of the closet on contest weekends and
expect that since it sitting on the operating table you are given
copying ability!

I refuse to believe a contester would not slow down for a slower guy -
scores depend on making QSOs, if you throw away that QSO you are a jerk.

I feel bad for all you guys who got sucked into this crap - then again,
most of this audience is the easily impressioned American one which gets
all its knowledge from the boob tube...therefore it must be true!

New CW ops - work on your CW....

Contesters - don't buy into this Politically Correct crap....

REMEMBER ANYTHING WORTH DOING, IS WORTH DOING WELL...and that does not
mean it is necessarliy easy to do - when you do learn it however you
will feela sense of pride having mastered something that you had to work
for.

Contesting is not for cry babies, or guys who blame others for all their
short comings!

73,

Jim, K4OJ