[CQ-Contest] CONFUSION ALERT

Bruce B. Sawyer zf2nt at candw.ky
Wed Nov 6 12:24:59 EST 2002

I just got the latest Rate Sheet from ARRL, and my heart jumped when I saw
the following announcement:

"Worked All Europe DX Contest - CW - sponsored by the Deutscher ARC,
0000Z Nov 9 -  2400Z Nov 10."

HOT STUFF!  I thought the only WAE contest was in August, when propagation
was at its worst for the year.  But a new fall version...fantastic!  Then I
became concerned when I saw there would also be the OK/OM DX Contest this
weekend, overlapping WAE CW by 24 hours.  That has the potential for major
confusion, far worse than RAC/SP on 160 in the winter.  But after writing
down all the relevant data from the Rate Sheet, I thought I'd do a quick
check on the DARC page and see if this was indeed the first running of a
fall WAE.

Bad news...the Pyallup Tribe of Indians are NOT going to be a new DXCC
country...and the WAE contest this weekend is RTTY, not CW.  Too bad.  So to
anybody else out there who thought there was going to be a red hot WAE on
this weekend...forget it.  The Rate Sheet is flat wrong.

Bruce, ZF2NT