[CQ-Contest] Let's move along, PLEASE

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Nov 8 20:50:52 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, k4oj wrote:

> The original thread about how some ham could be "dissed" by a contester
> is an important thread.  I felt it important because I do not think any
> contester should ever turn down a QSO - only under extreme QRM/QRN/QSB
> type situations where you truly have tried to copy the other station but
> just plain cannot dig them out of the ether shouldyou say no.  I find it
> offensive that some guy could ruin another guys attmept to have some fun
> contesting by telling them to "go awy".

I agree with that completely.  All arguments aside about whether someone
with less than 13 wpm code speed should participate in SS, my philosophy
is - unless the other station is causing deliberate interference to me or
being malicious, I just work him.  I'd never say "go away".

Whenever I get to running stations in ARRL DX, there are always some
stateside stations that call me.  They probably don't have a clue about
the contest rules and think they're doing me a favor by giving me some
points.  This usually happens on Sunday afternoon/evening.  I just work
them, log them and then keep that copy of the log but remove the QSO's for
the log I send to ARRL.  It's a sure thing that a good number of them are
going to send me QSL's!

Zack W9SZ