[CQ-Contest] N6TR's QRP SS

K4SB hamcat at directvinternet.com
Sat Nov 9 03:14:47 EST 2002

Jeffrey Clarke wrote:
>   If you think about it... It's not how much power you run but the ERP
> that you are getting from your antenna that makes you loud. Tree
> probably would of beat me out in most pileups ... at least on the
> higher bands, since he was at big station using stacked yagis !!! Is it
> maybe time for a tribander/wire class in SS like they have in WPX ???

Nope, I don't think ERP was the reason. Assuming Tree was running 5
watts, a 30db gain over real earth would be the equivilent of 160
watts to a dipole. And I don't know of any set of stacked yagis which
has that gain. Plus, you would have to have the ability to lower the
stack to get the desired take off angle. 5 degree TO is fine for DX,
but
you don't hear USA stations with it.

Tree was as loud as a rock band here, but I have to think the
operator, and location did the job.

73
Ed