[CQ-Contest] Busted calls and Uniques

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Wed Nov 13 09:06:33 EST 2002

K4SB wrote:

> Just taking the US alone, I can download the latest FCC database,
> filter it to remove some calls, and then have a perfectly reliable
> database of good US calls. Now, reverse engineer it, and you have a
> database of calls which are not issued. Run every US call in the logs
> against this database, and you have a clear idea of "busts".

Not a good idea.  For example ...

Most stations will log me as WD4AHZ ... some log me as WD4ASZ.

WD4AHZ WAS in the contest ... WD4ASZ was not, but is a legitimate call.

Using your method, WD4ASZ would be "good" ... even though it's an
obvious "bust"?  Is THIS how you want the logs scored?

It's made even worse if I don't send in a log for cross-checking purposes.

Ron